“Persistent people begin their success where others end in failure.” – Edward Eggleston
What is persistence?
The Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary defines Persistence as follows:
“the action or fact of persisting “
So what is persisting?
Again, Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary gives the following definition:
“to go on resolutely or stubbornly in spite of opposition, importunity, or warning “
So, by refusing to give up you are persistent. All successful people are persistent. Without persistence you will be defeated, even before you start. With persistence you will win.
There is no substitute for persistence. It cannot be supplanted by any other quality. Those people who have cultivated the habit of persistence seem to enjoy a type of insurance against failure. No matter how many times they are defeated, they finally arrive at the top of the success ladder.
These people understand that being persistent will reward them. They also understand that every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent advantage, (every cloud has a silver lining).
If a person does not have persistence, that person will not achieve complete success in any business or in life as well.
“Successful entrepreneurs find the balance between listening to their inner voice and staying persistent in driving for success – because sometimes success is waiting right across from the transitional bump that’s disguised as failure.” – Naveen Jain
Persistence is a state of mind
Because persistence is a state of mind, it can be cultivated. Persistence is based on some definite causes.
- Definiteness of purpose. Knowing what one wants is the first and perhaps the most important step towards the development of persistence. Being strongly motivated forces a person to overcome many difficulties.
- Desire. It is easy to acquire and maintain persistence when going after the object of an intense desire.
- Self-reliance. A strong belief in a person’s ability to carry out a well developed plan will encourage the person to follow through with the plan with persistence.
- Definiteness of plans. Even though they may be weak, if a plan is organized, persistence will be developed.
- Accurate knowledge. If you know that your plans are sound and based on experience or observation, will encourage the development of persistence.
- Will power. The habit of concentrating your thoughts on the building of plans for achieving a definite purpose will lead to persistence.
Are you persistent?
Take a look at yourself now. Do you have persistence or are you forever starting something and giving up at the first sign of defeat? Successful people know that defeat is temporary and that with persistence they will win.