“Goals. There’s no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There’s no telling what you can do when you believe in them. And there’s no telling what will happen when you act upon them.” —Jim Rohn
Why set personal goals?
The truly successful people know that setting personal goals is the only way to become successful. Imagine trying to travel across the country without knowing your goal or destination. Personal success is the same. If you do not have goals how do you know when you have arrived?
“The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, learn about them, or even seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.” —Denis Waitley
How to define and set your goals
To set your personal goals you first need to define what it is you want. Do you want a new house, a new car, to earn more money, better health, or many other things that you are wishing or dreaming of? Until your wishes or dreams are well defined, they are just that, wishes and dreams. So what do you need to do to make them goals.
- Find a quiet place that you cannot be disturbed.
- Get a notepad and pencil or pen.
- Start writing down everything that you want, don’t worry if it is not attainable right now, just include it in your list. Don’t make any judgments on anything you write.
- When you are finished , and take as much time as you need, put the list away for a couple of hours or a day. Come back to the list when you are relaxed and ready to proceed.
- Go over the list and determine those things that are attainable now with just a little effort. Maybe you only need to make a small decision to start something to attain these items on your list. Cross these items off.
- Next go over the list again and make sure that the remaining items are really your real wants and desires. Remove any that don’t belong.
- Now prioritize the list. What items do you really desire now, what can wait for a little bit before becoming reality.
- Write down everything into a new list.
“An average person with average talents and ambition and average education, can outstrip the most brilliant genius in our society, if that person has clear focused goals.” —Brian Tracy
This is just the start of developing goals.
Setting personal goals is hard work. By creating this list, and this in itself is hard work that is why so many people do not do it, you have taken the first step towards setting your personal goals.
“The more goals you set, the more goals you get.” —Mark Victor Hansen
We still need to do a lot more work to set your goals. We will talk more about this later.
There are many people and websites that can help you to be successful. You do not have to do this alone. But setting the goals is your personal task, no one knows your desires better than you.